2835 W St. Germain #300
P.O. Box 7729
St. Cloud, MN 56301-7729
Phone: (320) 259-4151
Toll Free: (888) 404-7768
Fax: (320) 259-5707
Contact us here
Driving is a very important skill in our society. SPOT Rehabilitation has teamed with Courage Center to provide driving assessments. These assessments include a behind-the-wheel assessment, in addition to a full clinical assessment of reaction time, vision, mobility, etc.
The process may include:
- Referral, usually by a physician, but may be at the request of a family member or by the individual himself.
- Driver assessment may be done at the SPOT Rehabilitation clinic or at the individual's home.
- An interview to discuss awareness of driving abilities or habits.
- Measures of orientation, memory, concentration, judgment, planning skills, and other skills necessary to make safe decisions behind the wheel.
- Screening for vision, perception, and other sensory abilities necessary for driving.
- Determination of physical function such as range of motion, strength, posture, and coordination for safe operation of a vehicle.
- An opportunity for a behind-the-wheel session with an experienced driving instructor from Courage Center
- A written report and clearly outlined recommendations to the referral source and the individual following participation in the Driver Review Program.
SPOT Rehabilitation teams with Courage Center to provide these assessments to those in our community who are in need of these services. Following the assessment, there may be recommendations made regarding the client's future driving, including:
- Continue driving with no restrictions.
- Driving with some restrictions.
- Behind the wheel training, with or without adaptations.
- Driving with adaptive equipment and/or techniques.
- Driving cessation, with discussion of alternative transportation needs.
The ultimate goal of the Driver Review Program is to allow older drivers and drivers with disabilities to be safe and to make responsible decisions about their ability to drive a vehicle on the road. The program will assist with building or improving skills through adaptations, re-training, or compensation techniques.
For more information about the Driver Review Program or to make a referral call our office at (320) 259-4151 or (888)404-7768.