ALS(Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis)/LOU GEHRIGS DISEASE
- Maintain flexibility
- Provide instruction of assistive devices, bracing, or other mobility aids to assist with independence
- Family education/training regarding bed mobility, bed/wheelchair/car transfers including progression of need for mechanical devices.
- Provide education regarding adaptive equipment to assist with ease and independence with self-cares.
- Assist with wheelchair/bed positioning and equipment through vendors and/or ALS foundation
- Maintain upper body ROM to prevent pain with self-cares and mobility.
- Maintain self-care independence as long as possible with use of adaptive equipment
- In home assessment for promoting safety and independence, including recommendations for home modifications.
- Relaxation/Stress management techniques
- Provide strategies to improve speech intelligibility, breath support and voice quality when speaking.
- Provide strategies to maintain safety swallowing during mealtimes.
- Provide communication device fitting when verbal communication is not possible.