OUTPATIENT CLINIC: Occupational Therapy
Occupational Therapy addresses the skills needed to complete the activities of daily living. Treatment may be focused on therapeutic exercises, activities of daily living (ADL) retraining, pain management, medical equipment needs, wheelchair positioning, home safety and accessibility.
OUTPATIENT/REHABILITATION: Pediatric and Adult
Occupational Therapy also can help children with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, speech and language disorders, Spinal Cord Injury, Traumatic Brain Injury and other special needs. Therapists and therapy assistants can help kids learn or regain skills to be able to participate at school or work, play, drive, shop, eat or even prepare a meal.
Occupational Therapy can help children with:
- Activities that promote independence
- Adaptive equipment and techniques
- Assistive technology
- Hand therapy and writing skills
- Executive thinking activities
- Feeding skills
- Fine motor control activities
- Play skills
- Sensory tolerance to sensory processing
- Transitional skills in school and life
- Upper extremity strengthening.
SPOT has been an industry leader in helping children overcome sensory difficulties that interfere with everyday activities in childhood and developmental disabilities:
- Ensuring Proper Physical, Mental And Social Development
- Techniques That Have Proven Successful In The Home, Community And School
Occupational Therapy can evaluate adults on:
- Executive functioning including attention, memory, planning, reasoning and problem solving
- Gross motor and fine motor skills
- Handwriting and hand dexterity
- Pain management
- School-based evaluations
- Sensory processing skills, including sensitivity training to touch, movement and noise
- Strength and coordination, like reaching, grasping and writing
- Thinking, reasoning and remembering skills, including problem solving, organization, attention span and following directions
- Visual perception and visual motor skills
- Wheelchair positioning and special equipment needs.
Our Occupational Therapists treat people with:
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Brain injury
- Cerebral palsy or other pediatric conditions
- Developmental delay
- Lower extremity amputation
- Movement disorders such as Parkinson’s disease
- Neurological disorders
- Orthopedic conditions, like recovery from total knee and hip surgeries, back and neck problems, and sprains and strains of the shoulder wrist and hand
- Sports-related injuries, back problems and other injuries
- Spina bifida
- Spinal cord injury
- Visual Concerns
VISION REHAB THERAPY: We offer interventions to help enhance vision skills and techniques for low vision.
Low vision can be described as a visual problem that cannot be corrected by standard glasses or medical interventions. The causes of low vision can range from eye diseases like Macular Degeneration, Diabetes, Glaucoma and Cataracts or can be a result of Neurological conditions such as Stroke, Parkinson’s Disease and Multiple Sclerosis. Low vision can also occur as a natural degeneration or aging process of the healthy eye.
Low vision can affect seniors in ways they may not fully realize. It can even jeopardize your independence.
The effects can include:
- Increased fall risk, especially in unfamiliar surroundings
- Difficulty writing checks and paying bills
- Difficulty reading drug and food labels
- Problems with overall safety
- Withdrawal from social interactions
Cognitive Performance Testing
Cognitive Performance Testing (CPT) may be used to assess thinking and processing skills that are important for independent living. Therapists will observe a person’s performance on tasks that are new and those that are routine. These might include setting up medications, getting information over the phone and using money to purchase a familiar item. Cognitive Performance Testing is helpful for people who have a diagnosis of mild cognitive loss and/or dementia. Caregivers are encouraged to attend the session with the individual. They are included in the review of the test results. A referral is needed for Cognitive Performance Test.